The Benguela Current Commission
The Vision, Mission, Key Performance Areas and Core Values of the BCC
A Benguela Current Large Marine Ecosystem that is sustainably used and managed, conserved, protected and contributes to the wellbeing of the people of the region.
To foster cooperation between the Republic of Angola, Republic of Namibia and Republic of South Africa and work towards an integrated, science-based and regional approach for the conservation, protection and sustainable use and management of the BCLME. To achieve this by facilitating the development and implementation of joint programmes of work.
Key Performance Areas
- Provision of best available scientific advice
- Sustainable exploitation and management of living marine resources
- Responsible exploitation and management of non-living marine resources
- Conservation of biodiversity, habitats, environmental goods and services and ecosystem functions and processes
- Prevention and mitigation of acute and chronic pollution
- Sufficient human, institutional and financial resources to achieve the objectives of the Convention
- Transformation, training and capacity building
Pursuant to achieving the objectives of the Convention, the BCC will demonstrate the following core values:
- Environmental sustainability